Significant moment for City of Bristol Club

By | April 8, 2019

In what was a very significant moment for City of Bristol Water Polo Club, the Junior B team (U16 age group) played their first ever league match against Cwm Draig on Saturday.  With a full team of 13 players and the oldest player in the side only 14 years of age, it’s testament to the club’s junior programme that will only continue to take the club from strength to strength. Henry, Sylvain, Carl, Jodie, Ethan, Eduardo and Katherine all making their competitive debuts for the club.

Right from the off Cwm Draig, fielding an older and more experienced team, set Bristol back on their heals.  Defending the shallow end, Bristol struggled against the extra size and physicality of Cwm Draig.  Cwm Draig scored straight from the swim-off and continued to pressure Bristol throughout the fist quarter.  Cwm Draig quickly went three nil up before Wills got a goal back from the 5m line after some strong work on the ball. 

The second quarter continued in much the same vain as Bristol could not get it’s passing game going and retain possession.  Bristol were fighting hard to get back into the game with some excellent shots from Oliver, Aaron and Wills, but, another goal proved elusive and the half finished 6-1. The score could easily have been worse if wasn’t for some brilliant saves by Alex Indge.

A more determined Bristol came out in the second half and finally the passing was hitting it’s mark.  Great interplay down the right between Jake and Carl to set-up Oliver in front of goal, who practically busted the net with his shot.  Straightaway from the restart, Bristol won the ball and Aaron was driving forward down the right.  A quick pass to the middle found Jake in space and he fired a shot into the top right hand corner.  Aaron soon backed this up with another goal, shooting from a narrow angle out on the wing, his power and accuracy was too much for the goalkeeper. The quarter finished 7 – 4 with another great save from Alex and some good defending by Henry and Archie.

Oliver won the swim off at the start of the final quarter and with an exchange of passes with Will, he fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner to make it 7 – 5.  But it was attacking the shallow end that proved our undoing.  The narrow width to the pool and having a tall goalkeeper standing in shallow water made it easy for Cwm Draig to defend against us and they were able to finish the game off. Cwm Draig finally winning 11 – 5.