Harlequins overcome University of Bath in a feisty game

By | March 23, 2019

Last night saw the clash of two titans as CoB Harlequins took on Bath University at their home pool of Bristol South. The two had already played earlier in the season with Bath winning 10-6. However, Harlequins, after coming off a 13-10 win last week, were raring to go.

The game got off to a fast start, with Harlequins Dan King scoring the scoring the first goal only 50 seconds into the match. Harlequins then continued on with the momentum, Dave Easdale scoring a second goal from the top of the arc 3 minutes into the quarter. Bath however reacted quickly, reorganising and firing back two quick goals to draw it 2-2. With only a minute left of the quarter a penalty was awarded to Harlequins. The penalty hit the bar however a quick pass to Dan and the ball was in the back of the net, ending the quarter 3-2.

Bath began the second quarter quickly, scoring a goal to equalise it just 40 seconds in. Harlequins then proceeded to rampage, slotting three more goals past Bath thanks to Yannis, Bard Coleman and Dan. Bath then manged to crawl one back due to an exclusion but it did nothing to stop Harlequins momentum as Dan fired in another rocket from the top of the arc to end the quarter 7-4.

Harlequins started the 3rd quarter with a quick goal once again from Dan, followed by a goal from Jack Booth. However, Bath fired back just a minute later making it 9-5. Harlequins then seemed to step off the gas, allowing Bath two one on ones. However, a near post save and a lob save by the goalkeeper, Sam Dorrington, left Bath looking disappointed and disheartened. This led to frustration from Bath which led to their number 3 being wrapped for misconduct. Yannis converted the penalty that was given due to this, ending the quarter 10-5.

The 4th quarter started quickly, with Bath’s twelve being wrapped due to three majors and then proceeding to sprout profanities at both the referees and the table. Bath then seemed to calm down, scoring a sixth of the game. They then continued to press the attack, having multiple man ups. However, continually good defend and some brilliant saves from Sam meant that they were unable to score in the shallow end fortress for the rest of the quarter. Harlequins on the other hand continued to fire them home. Brad Coleman and Chris Nash both added themselves to the score sheet. With only a minute left of the game a penalty was awarded Bath due to standing. Sam stood tall in the net and as the ball was fired at him he made himself as big as possible, smashing the ball out of the pool and into the spectator stands. Bath were now physically and morally shattered, having fully given up. Due to this Luke Bray was able to score an easy tap in with the last throw of the game, ending it 13-6 to Harlequins.

Man of the match goes to Dan King for slotting away 5 lovely goals as well as giving away 3 majors and getting the red flag.